I’ve been putting off writing for a couple of reasons. The first is that I haven’t been feeling great lately but the second is because I gained a pound. Now I know a pound is not much, but I haven’t been doing this very long so having a gain this early in kind of threw me. I could say it’s because I wasn’t feeling good, or I did some extra food (which I didn’t) and give all the emotional reasons I didn’t lose and gained. When it comes down to it, the calories burned was no where near the calories consumed. I didn’t move enough and hardly at all on Sunday. Its back to the drawing board and making a plan to get more movement into my week. If anyone knows of a way to burn calories while driving let me know!
I promised you a wall of candy – here it is.
This candy isle in Walgreens was taller than me and I’m 5’8″! I couldn’t believe how much Halloween candy there was here and now in Jumbo bags (green sign on the left). Halloween is a nightmare at my house (pun intended). I have two kids who love to trick or treat and then for weeks after there is all the candy hanging around. I try to think of all kinds of ways to not eat it. Last year that didn’t work out well at all.
This year I’m taking a different approach. I found out how much exercise you have to do in one week to work off some of the bite sized ‘evil things’ that we think aren’t doing any harm. In my book this means ‘in addition to the exercise I’m already supposed to do.
Here is a short list of candy and their calories & carbs per serving. It’s very short, my original list was over 2 pages.
- Hershey Kisses Plain – 26 calories and 8 g carb each kiss
- M&Ms, plain, Fun size (18 g) – 88 calories and 12 g carb
- Miniature Bars (MilkyWay, Snickers, 3 Muskateers) – average 38 calories and 5 g carb each
- Nestle’s Crunch Bars Fun size (10 g) 50 calories and 7 grams carb
- Tootsie Rolls – Midgee – 23 calories and 7 g carb
- Almond Joy Snack size (15 g) – 80 calories and 10 g carb
- Snickers Bars, Fun size (17 g) – 80 calories and 10 g carb
- Twix, Snack size (10 g) – 50 calories and 7 g carb
- Laffy Taffy, Chocolate, small bars (8 g each) – 32 calories and 7 g carb
- Milk Duds Snack size (12 g) – 54 calories and 9 g carb
- Candy Corn, Brach’s – 11 pieces – 70 calories and 18 g carb
Now, lets say my daughter gave me all her Almond Joys while we were trick or treating, and I ate about four of them. That is 320 calories I have to burn just from walking around having fun. I would have to (I meaning for my height and weight)
Walk for an hour at 3 mph
Wash dishes for 1 hour
Ride a bike for 1 hour
Step Aerobics for 40 min
Run at 6 mph for 20 min
You get the idea right? Temporary satisfaction but lots of work to make up for it. So what are the tips to help us not eat the candy?
- Chew gum
- Bring your own snacks with you
- Walk with Sugar Free Hot Cocoa if cold ( sparkling water if warm)
- Eat first and brush your teeth before you go.
Ok your turn. What are your tips for not eating or over eating on Halloween?